" " " complate desaign home: Mahogany Farm Table- Before & After

Monday, May 2, 2011

Mahogany Farm Table- Before & After





I found this table on Craigslist last week and had to bring her home for a makeover. She is sturdy, seats 8. and has great lines.


Before






A little dated with the yellow paint. The top was once a honey but has seen better days and has lots of dings and dents. These before pictures were actually taken after I had started stripping the top. As you can see I still had a ways to go.




 Here she is after stripping and sanding. All clean! I didn't go crazy trying to make it perfect. There are still lots of little scratches and imperfections. I wanted it to look like it has been used and loved.




I stained the top with Minwax Red Mahogany and sealed it with 5 coats of wipeable poly in satin, sanding in-between each coat with 220 grit sand paper. The satin finish gives it a great hand rubbed finish but with great protection for heavy use. The bottom I painted lightly with Valspar's Antique White in semi-gloss and sealed it with the wipeable poly. You can still see a tiny bit of the yellow peeking through here and there which gives it a little bit of interest, I think.




















No comments:

Post a Comment