" " " complate desaign home: Impending Sass

Monday, February 14, 2011

Impending Sass

Sass - it means mother-in-law. I call my mother in law Ammi, which means mother in English but has always just seemed like my mother-in-law's name to me. So the title means that my mother-in-law is coming. But in English sass means "having a spirited attitude; possessing an impertinent, insolent, or saucy quality; derived from sassy." Which alludes to the fact that you probably wouldn't want to be in my house in the upcoming week while I stress out and probably yell a bit about getting the place in order before her arrival. I don't know if you know what it's like to have your mother-in-law coming for a visit, but I get stressed and want to make everything look nice and have everything tidy and welcoming. Tidy is not something that comes to me by nature.

She arrives Sunday night, and I have a 70+ hour work week between now and then. Also, my entire main level is in disarray because Mian has been building and painting some built-in cabinets for us. Then comes to carpet cleaning, so the disarray isn't getting any better anytime soon. The in-law's bedroom is mostly okay, just a few things need to be done in there. We painted it blue a few weeks ago, and bought a new down comforter that has to be stuffed into its duvet cover. I'd like to go through the clothes that Ammi left in her cabinet and wash them for her. The last time she came, they'd been in a cabinet for a long time and she smelled like a pine tree for the first few days before I had the sense to wash everything. I'd like everything to be ready and waiting for her this time. I'll also have to cook something special for her arrival night. I wonder, what meal do you think is best for the night after a 24+ hour, multicontinent journey?

My mother-in-law probably won't be staying with us very much, maybe 10 day to two weeks in the beginning, but then she'll be off to the midwest where M's sister is soon going to be having a baby. Ammi will probably come back once in the middle, and stay with us a week or two or three at the end. No definite plans yet. And we'll want to do some  fun stuff with her while she's here. So far we've only talked about maybe going to Maine, eating some lobster and going on a whale watching tour. We took her to Disneyworld and Sea World on her first visit, and on her second we took her to Niagara Falls. On her third, we had a baby, so no time for tourism. I don't know what we did last time. Do you have any suggestions for fun things to do with Pakistani parents-in-law between the Eastern seaboard and the Ohio River Valley?

No comments:

Post a Comment