" " " complate desaign home: Laundry Room Details for all of my DIY Friends

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Laundry Room Details for all of my DIY Friends

I'm still overwhelmed by the response I have received from this makeover. You've blogged, facebooked and tweeted about my laundry room. I know I love it, but I'm so happy to hear so many of you love it too!

So, I have had many questions about sources, materials, colors, etc. First off, the room dimensions are about 8 1/2' x 9 1/2' with one window and one door to the patio, one door to the mud room/back entrance.

I had researched cabinets but the costs were about $2000 and they weren't the style or height that I wanted (42" high). So, my husband built the boxes. And we purchased the doors. My husband is working on a technical how-to post for his blog, The Honey-do Chronicles.




  • Wood for cabinets and trim - $250
  • Stain-grade wood panels for countertops and wood for legs - $188
  • Stain for countertop - Minwax English Chestnut
  • Tile floor, glue and grout $150
  • All of the above from Lowe's Home Improvement 
  • Electric radiant heat for tile floor from Electric Supplier $238 (but sooo worth it!)
  • Cabinet paint color - Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray HC-170
  • Wall paint color Benjamin Moore White Dove 
  • MDF Cabinet Doors (including european hinges and shipping costs) -                                                                                                      Naked Kitchen Cabinet Doors - $266 
  • Light fixture - home made for under $10 - see this post
  • Sink and faucet from Lowe's $200
  • Cast Iron Handles from my shop $3.50 each





My favorite trick - concealing the "dirty laundry". I have 6 tall laundry bins from Target for all of my sorting under the long counter. And to hide everything - a simple painter's drop cloth curtain for about $20!

I put in a tension rod with a support in the middle to prevent sagging. Then, I bought a couple of packages of ring clips. Here is a closer pic (sorry it's a little blurry). The rings are great because they just slide so easy. I didn't do any sewing for this - just folded over the top till I got the length I wanted. Although there is a raw edge (which I know I will have to sew before it goes in the wash) at one end because I did cut off a piece to make a separate curtain under the sink.


We didn't replace the window (although I wanted to!) but we did purchase a new door painted in a fun new color.






  • Door and hardware from Lowes - $200
  • Paint color Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue HC-144


Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue HC-144



I was so happy to get the huge calendar off the fridge and out of my kitchen! Notice the dish of lavender (keeps me calm while I look at the crazy schedule).


  • Mammoth Grid Calendar (necessary for a family of 6) from Calendars.com $15.99
  • Burlap lampshade from Target $9.99
  • Bird Box for mail from Michaels Craft Stores $11.99
  • Rusty Enamel clips holding up the calendar from my shop $3.50 each

  • Stone Flower Pot holding pens - from my shop - $7.50
  • Cast Iron dish from my shop $13.00

My dog food pail was a big hit. I purchased the pail at Ikea for $25. Lettering is vinyl and was cut from one of those craft cutters by a friend of mine. You can find custom letters on Etsy if you don't know anyone with one of those machines. Or if you don't want to make it yourself - Ballard has the dog and cat food pails here.


The machines are what triggered this project. My old ones died, boohoo, I swear I never overstuffed them! So, we had to shop for new ones and had to wait 4 weeks for delivery. We though this was the perfect time to start gutting the room.




  • LG washer and dryer from Sears $1,254
  • Nestled in the Branches Ironing Board Cover from this shop on Etsy $24
  • Dog Treat jar from Homegoods $5.99
  • Embossed planter from my shop $23.00
  • Bird plate from Christmas Tree Shops $1.99
  • Drying rack over ironing board from Ikea $30

Leftover drop cloth from another project made the perfect swag curtain.

  • Iron grill over window from an Antique Shop in Cape May, NJ $20
  • French Ticking ribbon tie back from my etsy shop $3/yard
Ok, so I think I covered just about everything. We have spent about $3,000 total on this whole room renovation, not bad. Of course that's doing all of the labor ourselves. So, if you have any other questions just let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Many of you told me you want to or have already begun a laundry room renovation. I hope you will let us know when you are ready to share it!

Good luck and have fun!

See PART 1 of the laundry room.

No comments:

Post a Comment