" " " complate desaign home: What We've Been Up To

Thursday, October 7, 2010

What We've Been Up To

Poor neglected blog.  *pat*pat*



Obviously, I still haven't made good on my promise to write about women's roles in the church.  With the lack of internet for over a month and school going on, I haven't been very motivated.  It IS coming... someday.  ;)



Speaking of school, we began the rest of our subjects after Labor Day.  Chris continues to floor me with his skills.  I still have to sit right with him and walk him through everything to keep him motivated and on track, but he's easily grasping some science and grammar concepts that I thought we'd have to fight our way through.  We also took a field-trip to see the Nina and the Pinta!  It was neat going to my first home-school field-trip... as the teacher.





Much of the rest of my time recently has been taken up with sewing!  Yes, I'm learning how to sew.  I knew how to do a little handwork before, but had no idea how to craft anything larger than a pillow, and certainly was clueless as to the use of a sewing machine.  So a little over a month ago I began a beginning sewing class at a local sewing shop.  It was once a week for three hours, and I learned tons!  At the end of the class, Trevvor and my parents bought me a new sewing machine--a Pfaff Expression 2.0--for both my upcoming birthday and Christmas!  It's one of the fancy-smancy computerized ones, though I admit I have a nostalgia for my mom's 35-year-old machine--and even for my great-great-grandmother's treadle machine!



Then this past Tuesday I took a class learning how to make the Nie Nie Skirt.  It's a children's skirt, so I'm making it in pink and green as a Christmas gift for a certain little girl I know.  ;)  I've perfected (somewhat) my French seam and learned how to sew a rolled hem, which I can use on anything!  It was a great all-day class, even though I only finished one ruffle!  (Gathering takes forever.)





All of this to say:  I think I've found my new passion.  I absolutely love constructing things with my hands, and since I'm not all that great with a hammer, sewing "seamed" like the perfect alternative!  (No pun intended, of course.)



So, sewing's been the upside. However, there's been a downside.  On Sunday we put my two fuzzy white babies outside to do their mouse-catching thing.  :(  Now, you have to understand, these were the two cuddliest kitties I've ever known, especially Scruffy.  He was dependent on me; he needed me.  And he's ever so comforting to snuggle.  But, we got them to be my mom's outside cats, and now that they're fixed and our other cat is updated on her shots... out they had to go.  I think I cried four times that day!  It was pretty pathetic, but I'd really gotten attached to them.  They were my "babies" until God blesses us with a real one, and it's been hard to not have them nearby.





Now that you know what I've been up to, I want to know what you've been doing!  What have been the ups and downs for you this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment